This Privacy Notice Statement (PNS) outlines the privacy practices of the Invest in Canada (IIC) as they relate to personal information collected in its electronic client relationship management system, CRM. Invest in Canada is authorized to collect your personal information pursuant to the Invest in Canada Act section 6(e).
Consent for your personal information
By providing your personal information, you are accepting the terms of this PNS and you are consenting to our collection, use, disclosure, retention and protection of your personal information.
Why do we collect personal information?
The Invest in Canada (IIC) provides its clients with practical advice on investment opportunities and on-the-ground intelligence to help them make better, timelier and cost-effective decisions in order to achieve their investment goals. The IIC promotes Canada as an investment destination for foreign companies and as a partner for innovation. When your organization makes a request for IIC services, we will collect a limited amount of personal information from you, such as your full name and business contact information. This information is solely collected for the purpose of communicating with you, as our business contact.
How does the IIC use and share your personal information?
The IIC uses your information to promote Canada's economic interests in global markets, by engaging in a range of activities including the following:
- attracting foreign investment to Canada through:
- investment support:
- assist potential investors in developing business cases
- provide information and advice on doing business in Canada
- provide strategic market intelligence on specific industries
- identify and facilitate visits to possible site locations
- provide potential investors with introductions to:
- provincial, territorial and local investment promotion agencies to provide access to local opportunities, networks and programs
- key contacts in private industry, academia and government
- strategic industry events and international activities
- referrals to investment support professionals, such as lenders, lawyers, accounting firms, information specialists and private-sector industry associations
- assist investors navigating the regulatory environment in their industry
- provide information on government programs that can help to set up a business in Canada, access tax and R&D credits as well as other incentives
- investment support:
- developing a network of international business contacts
- identifying and communicating business leads
- fostering strategic alliances
- promoting joint-venture partnering and foreign equity investment
Your personal information may be shared with other partners including federal, provincial, municipal and private sector associations in support of the functions of the IIC. Given the nature of the IIC functions and activities, we may also disclose your personal information to companies when arranging trade events.
How do we protect your information?
Invest in Canada is committed to protecting the privacy, confidentiality, and security of the personal information that it holds by adhering to the requirements of the Privacy Act and its regulations. Individuals have the right to file a complaint with the Privacy Commissioner of Canada regarding the handling of their personal information.
How long will we retain your information?
We will retain your business contact information (name, phone number or email address) as long as it remains current and while the IIC is providing services to the organization you represent.
How can you access your information?
You have the right to access your personal information and to request corrections where you believe there is an error or omission. You may contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference Invest in Canada's Class of Record for “Invest in Canada (COR 001)” when requesting access to your personal information.